Location of Serabit el-Khadim
The site of Serabit el-Khadim is located in the southwest of the Sinai Peninsula, about 10km north of Wadi Maghara and 43km east of Abu Zenima. It covers an area of more than 20km2, at an elevation of 735 meters above sea level.
Serabit el-Khadim is considered to be the most significant ancient Egyptian site in South Sinai, as it preserves ample evidence of ancient Egypt. It represents the largest site of exploitation of turquoise, copper, and malachite in Sinai. Since its rediscovery in 1762 by Niebuhr, the site has attracted the attention of many travelers and archaeologists. During the second half of the 20th century, several archaeological projects have investigated Serabit el-Khadim from different perspectives.
The geological formations of Serabit el-Khadim consist mainly of basalt and sandstone, rich in metals and mineral deposits. These metals and minerals were extracted intermittently by the ancient Egyptians for centuries; seventeen major mining sites are now known in the area, among many smaller operations.